1.16.2010

seeds

I ordered seeds from TinySeeds a few days ago. Tiny Seeds carries primarily Botanical Interests seeds, which I have seen just about everywhere from national chain hardware stores to independent nurseries. Their selection is pretty good, and their prices are much more reasonable than other more well-known seed catalogs (hat tip, Thembi).

Like last year, I plan to raise most of my garden from seed. This year, however, I plan on planting more flowers, many of which will be easier to buy as transplants later on. The seed list, which may expand later, is as follows:

Herbs:
Basil - Genovese (Organic)
Chives - Common
Spearmint

Vegetables:
Eggplant - Black Beauty (Organic)
Zucchini - Black Beauty
Cherry Tomatoes - Sugar Sweetie (Organic)
Lettuce - Crisphead Great Lakes
Lettuce - Mesclun Baby Greens mix (Organic)
Swiss Chard - Bright Lights

Flowers:
Delphinium - Butterfly Blend
Bee Balm - Dotted Mint
Purple Coneflower (Echinacea)


The seeds should get here in a few weeks. A number of these guys should be planted outside a few weeks before the last frost date, minimizing the amount of space I have to devote to raising seedlings indoors.

A brief word on organic gardens: I am not a staunch organic-ist. At the supermarket, I will buy organic if the cost and quality are similar. When it comes down to it, though, I would much rather put the time and extra expense into purchasing locally when it is an option. I much prefer the idea of keeping local farmers viable by purchasing produce in season at local farmers' markets, when I can.

I hold the same sort of logic when it comes to raising my own vegetables: I will raise my garden organically when possible, and as sustainably as possible. However, I don't think that organic is an all-or-nothing proposition: I do what I can on the budget I have. Container gardens are notoriously starved for nutrients, and balanced organic fertilizers are expensive and hard to come by. However, homemade, effective options exist for pest control, and I will utilize them whenever possible.

In the end, my herbs and vegetables will not be certified organic. They will, however, be as healthful as is possible. And, as a side benefit, how much more local can you get than just outside your bedroom door?

2 comments:

  1. Will there be any black peppers this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent question, and certainly the subject of another post (or two).

    ReplyDelete