5.26.2010

veggie washes

One difference between CSA produce and grocery produce is that you can tell it came out of the ground. This is by no means a bad thing. In fact, I would rather see dirt on my produce and be reminded to wash it well, than to have creepy hidden bugs in my grocery broccoli that I can't see until I've cooked it (true story, totally traumatizing). Especially with lettuce, I have been pretty careful to wash it thoroughly (and judging by the amount of lettuce I've eaten in the past two weeks, I need a salad spinner like nobody's business).

But the question is: do I need to do more than just rinse? I have seen vegetable washes and sprays on the market, at places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I imagine they are pretty safe, or at least they are marketed to combat the unsafe ills of non-organic produce. My CSA is organic, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about the nastier chemicals, but what things other than soil should I look out for? And are the spray washes the answer?

4 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about those sprays, but I assume they are unnecessary. But dude, you need a salad spinner. Mostly cause they're fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I went to the mother of all kitchen stores in Philadelphia. They had six different kinds of salad spinners, each more than $25. While it was exciting to time how long they all kept spinning after pressing the button/pulling the lever/etc., I couldn't quite bring myself to get one. So instead I bought a springform pan.

    In hindsight, my priorities were not super straight. But at least now I can make your vanilla buttermilk cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. try the salvation army store on 22nd and market, i think i saw one there awhile ago for like 6 bucks, also amazon has cheap ones too

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds pretty straight to me. Cake and CHEESECAKE.

    ReplyDelete