3.20.2010

more planting

Well. Spring has definitely sprung in Philly. It has been a glorious 70 degrees here for the past few days, serving as a reminder to get my act in gear with the garden.

I'm running a week or so late on my original schedule. It's somewhat intentional, as I wanted to make sure that I wasn't pushing the frost date too much, but lately time has been getting away from me, too. The end of the semester is fast approaching, and this coming week will be especially hellish. So, because I had an extra few hours today, I got cracking on the next few steps.

Today I started my cherry tomatoes and echinacea in my 2nd greenhouse (no photos for now. Trust me, they look exactly the same as the others did when I got them started), and planted my lettuces, chard, and chives outside.

In order to save myself from Zipcar-ing to the (unbearably crowded) Home Depot today, I decided to re-use my potting soil from last year. I have no idea if that is totally kosher in container-gardening world, but oh well. Thembi thinks it's cool, McGee and Stuckey don't expressly forbid it, and I really hate Home Depot on Saturdays. So, I dumped all the soil out, sifted through for the bigger roots, re-fertilized, watered, and back into the containers it went.

I hate to say it, but I am hoping that it cools down a bit in the next few days. Chard and lettuce are supposed to germinate in slightly cooler weather, and it's, uh, 73 degrees right now. In any event, I have the planted containers in the shade to keep them cooler for now.

In other news, I found this while cleaning up the old/dead plants last week:

Green growth! That somehow survived three feet of snow! Anyone know what they are? The one in the back looks like it may be a plain old thistle or something, but the one in the middle is odd. It has soft furry leaves and no smell. Both might very well be weeds, but I am so excited to have green in the garden, that I'm going to just leave them there for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment